Wednesday 22 July 2020

Dawlish Warren Plants


Cotton Thistle Onopordum acanthium
 
It was a privilege to spend the morning wandering around Dawlish Warren with Kev, looking for the many special plants that exist there. The Warren has to its name over 700 higher plant species - superbly catalogued by Kev here. I was thrilled to see a number of new species, and learnt a huge amount from Kev, who's knowledge is unbelievable. While I was struggling just to spot certain plants he was noticing leaf mines, weevils and galls on them! It just goes to show how important it is to know your plants if you want to find specific micro moth species or other invertebrates.
It was great to catch up with Lee and Dave again. The last time I saw them was May 2017, when I twitched the Eastern Subalpine Warbler!


Biting Stonecrop


Welted Thistle - this one has gone over but you can still see the spiny wings on the stem.


Hare's Tail


Rose Campion - an introduced species that has been present at the Warren since 2004.


Mexican Fleabane


Common (not common) Cudweed
 

Marsh Cudweed


Garden Asparagus
 
 
Strawberry Clover (with fruiting head below, from where the name comes). This species is rare in Devon but once Kev had pointed out the first, and I got my eye in, it became apparent that there's plenty of it on the Warren, particularly in areas surrounding the main pond. Absolutely love it!



Fairy Flax - a tiny flower that I don't think I'd have seen without Kev's help. Nothing like the Pale Flax that occurs on Orcombe Point.


Parsley Water-dropwort


Sharp-flowered Rush


Mare's-tail


Sand Spurrey


False Fox-sedge


One of two or three Clouded Yellows seen.


Lesser Centaury - a beautiful but miniature flower that Kev's expert eyes picked up. I'm pretty sure if I'd spent a week at the Warren I still wouldn't have found it myself. Early morning these were closed up but they opened up later on.


Sea Club-rush


Sea Bindweed


Intermediate Polypody


Sea Mayweed


Sea Sandwort


Frosted Orache


Sea Spurge - another Warren speciality and now my personal favourite.


Orange Peel Clematis (and below) - this beautiful introduction has been present on Warren Point since 2010.



Dogwood


Portland Spurge


Annual Sea-blite Suaeda maritima


Common Glasswort


Sea Arrowgrass


Japanese Rose Rosa rugosa


Sea Radish

 
Common Sea-lavendar

2 comments:

  1. Matt, the Common Club-rush is Sea Club-rush (Scirpus maritimus). Former has round stem, the latter triangular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave - yes Kev did tell me that but I've still managed to get it wrong! All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete