Sunday 20 June 2021

Miscellaneous Exmouth


Rough Hawkbit - I think. Confirmation or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

I've made a few trips for stuff over the last few weeks but there's more than enough botanical interest on the doorstep to keep me busy. I pottered round the town this morning, with one eye on the rooftops for Starlings and the other on the ground for flowers. At least 30 Sandwich Terns were fishing the estuary along with a first-summer Mediterranean Gull.

Rough Hawkbit - leaves. Note long, forked hairs on stem.



Rough Hawkbit?

Common Glasswort - Duckpond.

I think this is Annual Sea-blite with Common Glasswort.

A migrant Diamond-back on Sea Beet.

Naturalised Sweet Alison is plentiful around the arcades and cricket pitch area. It pops up on local pavements too.

A whopping 340 spikes of Ivy Broomrape were counted along a short stretch of Madeira Walk. I just love this flower but can imagine it won't be everyone's cup of tea.


Past its best but nice to find Bladder Campion in Exmouth - along Madeira Walk.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I can't put a name to this presumed member of the Dead-nettle family. A tall, rangy plant with purple flowers.

Wild Privet.

Goat's-beard (and below).



As if further evidence of wild flower seed mix being deliberately planted were needed, this Corncockle is one of several growing beside the boat repair yard.

2 comments:

  1. Some great plants again Matt. Could be Rough Hawkbit, but would love to see the whole plant- these yellow composites can be tricky from photos. Suspect your dead-nettle is a form of Lamium maculatum, of which there are innumerable cultivars with variegation, etc.

    Well done on the Southern Damselfly. A few years since I last saw these in the New Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil and many thanks as always. Have lost count the number of times you've helped me out! I've included a photo of the whole possible Hawkbit but it's not great, so you may not be able to see what you need to. The Lamium maculatum would make a lot of sense - growing in amongst other cultivars.
    The Southern Damselflys are amazing at Prewley - lots of 'em and very easily accessible compared to more local ones. Thanks again for all your help. Matt

    ReplyDelete