Saturday 5 June 2021

Allseed White Colon


Allseed. I searched for this, along with Chaffweed, on Withycombe Raleigh Common, a few weeks ago. I scored with the Chaffweed but failed to find this. It was therefore a very pleasant surprise to find a small patch growing on a pavement, just around the corner, whilst walking the dog with Lu. It's a rare plant and very attractive at this stage, just before flowering.


White Colon - only the second one I've ever trapped. White Colon is a nationally scarce species, mostly restricted to coastal locations. Having not run the trap for a while, and feeling very rusty, I almost passed if off as Cabbage Moth. Note the small white colon marks on the forewing.


Broken-barred Carpet. Also trapped last night - 12 Treble Lines, 1 Spectacle, 2 Light Brown Apple Moth, 6 Common Marbled Carpet, 8 Heart and Dart, 2 Rusty Dot Pearl, 1 Muslin Moth, 12 Uncertain, 1 Bright-line Brown-eye, 1 Lime-speck Pug, 1 Brimstone, 1 Haworth's Pug, 1 Flame Shoulder, 1 Silver Y and 1 Mottled Rustic.


Early Marsh Orchid - fantastic to meet up with Bill and Sue this morning, for a look at the Early Marsh Orchids. Bill nearly lost his wellies a couple times but I think he'd say it was worth it!

Common Yellow-sedge. It was a real privilege to spend an hour with Lesley Kerry today. She very kindly showed me another location for Early Marsh Orchid, and taught me a lot about the flora of the heathland bogs, including some stunning sedges.

Carnation Sedge.


Green-ribbed Sedge - and below.


Deer Grass.

Sand Spurrey - I last saw this with Kev, on Dawlish Warren. It hadn't occurred to me it might occur on the pebbled heaths but apparently it does!

No comments:

Post a Comment