Saturday 8 May 2021

Pale Dog Violets


I tried sea-watching first thing, but with only c20+ Common Scoter, 1 Sandwich Tern, 4+ Guillemot, 2 Fulmar and a Sanderling to show for my efforts, I decided my time would be better spent hunting for Pale Dog Violets - a rare species that I've been eagerly awaiting. I found small numbers on the local pebbled heaths, and they were just as gorgeous as I'd hoped they'd be.
Otherwise today - 5 Dark-bellied Brent Geese, c20 Sanderling, c3/400+ Dunlin and 3 Bar-tailed Godwits on Cockle Sands.
Yesterday evening - c50 Dunlin, 2 Sanderling and c30 Whimbrel off Mudbank.






Greenish-white spur.


A Common Dog Violet for comparison - less lanceolate leaves.

Common Cotton Grass and Heath Milkwort, I think.

I think this is Black Bog-rush.


Wood Speedwell - Liverton Copse

No comments:

Post a Comment