Thursday 23 April 2015

Gropper


I had to squeeze birding into half an hour at dawn and half an hour late this evening, after another busy day of work. Orcombe Point produced 20 sandwich tern, 1 little tern, 1 grasshopper warbler and 4 wheatear. There are now several whitethroats on territory up there and I got the distinct sense that had I had more time, I'd have picked up other stuff.
The light was wrong for looking at the estuary but I managed to pick up a single brent goose, that looked dark-bellied, as well as a couple knot and c10+ godwit sp that, on silhouette, looked like a mix of black and bar-tailed.


Raven


Whitethroat - one of several on territory on Orcombe.



I'm having no luck photographing birds in bushes at the moment! I was however very pleased to see this skulking Grasshopper Warbler - a non-singing bird in the 'top fields'. They are a pretty scarce bird on Orcombe and are by no means guaranteed in any given year. I wonder how many more of these were lurking up there?


View from the top fields this evening, looking back towards Exmouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment