Saturday 9 July 2022

Meds High


 Eight Mediterranean Gulls, of four different age classes, in this photo. Just a few of the 67+ off Mudbank this afternoon.

I recorded my highest ever Mediterranean Gull count in Exmouth this afternoon, a couple hours before high tide. At least 67 birds were present, along with 200+ Black-headed Gulls. All ages classes were represented, with at least 10 juvenile birds noted. Otherwise, just 6 Whimbrel and a lone Dark-bellied Brent Goose
Other exciting news concerns the discovery of a new Moorhen site in Exmouth! At least 2 birds were seen in an overgrown pond, along Castle Lane. Extra pleasing as the Bystock birds seem to have vacated the reserve.








I've driven past this clear-fell area, along Castle Lane, on a number of occasions. Today however was the first time I've properly explored it, and I was surprised to discover a sunken, overgrown pond. The clump of sallows, just right of centre of this photo, is the spot, complete with Moorhens and a stack of dragonflies!


I thought I'd found all the good bits within the Exmouth parish boundary but turns out I hadn't (and still probably haven't).

The area of clear-fell was heaving with Small Skippers. In fact I can't ever recall seeing so many in one place. I checked a load for Essex Skipper but no joy. Additionally - Large Skipper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Holly Blue, Marbled White and Peacock were recorded.

Second brood Holly Blue.

Emperor Dragonfly.


Golden-ringed Dragonfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment