Thursday 29 June 2023

Small Argent and Sable


Small Argent and Sable. 

A walk on Dartmoor this morning, hoping to find Silver Hook and Bog Orchid. No luck with either but good to be somewhere quiet and unspoiled. Very few birds - just a few Wheatears, Skylarks, Meadow Pipits etc. A couple of vocal Snipe too. Odanata included lots of Keeled Skimmers, Large Red Damselflies and Southern Damselflies. 



Southern Damselfly.


Large Skipper.


Heath Spotted Orchid.


Ringlet.


 Double-striped Knot-horn Cryptoblabes bistriga. Not an uncommon species but a new garden record for me.


True Lover's Knot.


Sallow Button Acleris hastiana.


Gorse Knot-horn Pempelia genistella.

2 comments:

  1. I trust the SDs were at a known site? I assume you were seeing lots of Keeled Skimmers on Dartmoor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave - yes, the very site you kindly put me on to a few years ago! Good numbers up there by the looks of it. Annoyed with my skimmers - pure laziness/ineptitude in not looking hard at them and jumping to the wrong id. Loads present and plenty of females ovipositing - in fact way more activity up there than I've seen in the past. Trust you're keeping well and thank you for putting me straight.
    Matt

    ReplyDelete