Friday 2 April 2021

Osprey Orange Underwing

I picked up this Osprey from the back garden, heading north, upriver at 1115. It or another was off Mudbank at 1130, before heading downriver. It then headed back upriver shortly after 1145, and that was the last I saw of it - my second of the spring so far...

Just one Wheatear on Orcombe early this morning, but I should have probably stayed out longer. Ten Sandwich Terns off the seafront. 
Off Mudbank - 4+ Sandwich Tern, 1 Grey Plover, 180+ Curlew, my first Whimbrel of the year, 10+ Brent Geese, 4 Red-breasted Mergansers, 9 Sand Martins, 3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls and at least one Osprey. At least 40 Cattle Egrets were again with cattle, in a field somewhere above Starcross.

Firecrest - Bystock. This would have been the highlight were it not for an Orange Underwing that was seen nectaring on Sallow catkins. Unfortunately I couldn't get a photograph, but I will be trying for it again... 


 Marsh Violet - Bystock. Not on my radar so a very pleasant surprise in boggy woodland at the top end of the reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment