Friday 7 April 2017

Spring Moths, Osprey and Red Kite


Common Quaker
 
The moth trap got its first airing last night. Nothing spectacular but good to see some of the common early spring species. The night's catch consisted of 1 V-Pug, 5 Hebrew Character, 7 Early Grey, 1 Early Thorn, 1 Double-striped Pug, 6 Common Quaker and 1 Twenty-plume Moth.
Orcombe Point was dire this morning. I recorded just 1 Willow Warbler, 3 Turnstone, 1 Sandwich Tern, 3 Great Crested Grebe and 1 Common Scoter. The best record was 2 drake Teal that flew in towards the river mouth.
Bird-wise the best place to be in Exmouth today was probably at home. The Yellow-browed Warbler was calling on and off all day, until at least 640pm. I went out to watch it a couple times. Shortly after 5pm Terry texted with news of a Red Kite drifting towards the estuary. I soon picked it up but had it only briefly. I stayed watching and at around 530pm picked up an Osprey drifting eastwards. I had good scope views until I lost it from sight. This is my third this spring but I've yet to see a House Martin. Also from the garden - 1+ Swallow, 3 Dark-bellied Brent Geese, 1 or 2 Sparrowhawk, several Buzzard and a Peregrine. A probable Greylag Goose flew downriver at 645ish (harsh light so difficult to be sure).
 

Hebrew Character


Early Thorn


Early Grey - the most common species in last night's trap.


V-Pug


Terrapins - Bystock Pool. Joel and I popped in to look for these before walking the dog around Withycombe Raleigh Common. Still a pair of Tufted Duck on Bystock Pool too.

No comments:

Post a Comment