Saturday 11 June 2022

Thrift Clearwing

With both kids working all day, and Lu at her sister's, I decided on a trip out of Exmouth with chief targets being Thrift Clearwing (using Thrift/Raspberry Clearwing lure), Lesser Butterfly-orchid and Marsh Fritillary. I was lucky with all three, and especially pleased with the clearwing as it's a new one for me. It took a bit of effort but eventually I found a thrift-covered slope that wasn't too wind-blown, above Soar Mill Cove - a truly stunning spot in an area that I used to love birding. The only birds today however were several singing Cirl Buntings, plenty of Rock Pipits and numbers of Stonechats, swelled by recently-fledged youngsters. I stopped at a couple sites on Dartmoor on the way there, and enjoyed a cuppa with Mum on the way home.



Looking north-west from Bolt Tail.


This flower is bothering me. The leaves feel familiar but not the flowers. It was growing at the back of the beach in Soar Mill Cove. Edit - this is Sea Milkwort (no relation to other Milkworts). Many thanks to Dave Smallshire for the identification.

WTF?

 Dark Green Fritillary - one of several on the wing in sunny conditions. Saw my first Graylings of the year too.


English Stonecrop. Patches of this gorgeous rose-pink and white flower everywhere!

Marsh Fritillary - Dartmoor.  I think it has been sixteen years since I last saw this species, which is partly why I made the effort today. I'd forgotten how small they are!


Lesser Butterfly-orchid. Exquisite flowers that require some searching, amongst bracken.



Clouded Buff. Rhubarb and Custard.


Common Twayblade.


Common Spotted Orchid - a strongly-marked flower.


Greater Butterfly-orchid.

4 comments:

  1. Your mystery plant is Sea Milkwort (Glaux maritima)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant - many thanks Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Thrift Clearwing looks fantastic Matt. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nick - it's a really stunning insect. Trying for Red-tipped next...
    Hope Start was good. All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete