Friday 24 June 2022

Redshank, Bordered Straw


 This adult, breeding-plumaged Redshank was off Mudbank this afternoon - the first I've seen for a while and a typical mid/late June occurrence. Otherwise, still 2 Dark-bellied Brent Geese, 10 Sandwich Terns and 3 Whimbrel.

Soon, the local Common Spotted Orchids will be past their best, so I visited a couple of the premier roadside sites (that I know of) to photograph them. They may be common but they're nonetheless lovely.        







This Common Spotted Orchid was nearly three feet tall, reaching for light amongst quite dense vegetation.


A cursory count of the Wright's Lane Broad-leaved Helleborines revealed ten plants, but I'm sure there'll be more than that because they're not easy to spot. I can't wait to see them in flower! Unfortunately, this little-used lane has recently been re-surfaced, which has left some of the plants splattered with tar. Others have been nibbled at by slugs and/or snails, but the plants in the darkest spots seem to be doing better than last year. Fingers crossed.

This box-fresh Oak-tree Pug caught me a little by surprise. I'm used to seeing them a little earlier in the spring in this condition. Many moths and lots of variety in the trap last night, but the only immigrants were 3 Rusty Dot Pearls and a Bordered Straw.

Presumed Apple Ermine but can't be sure without dissection.

Scalloped Oak.

Lots of people have been reporting Bordered Straw of late. It's a moth I used to see more of when I started trapping, back in 2006. Today's individual looked pretty immaculate. I've trapped more Scarce Bordered Straws over the years but the ambition, of course, is to see Eastern Bordered Straw...

No comments:

Post a Comment