Saturday 10 February 2018

Snow Geese


Snow Geese - Powderham Corner
 
I'm sure there are some of you that will think I've lost my mind, but I love wildfowl, and despite having birded in the States a couple times I've never seen Snow Geese, anywhere. This morning I just fancied seeing them so, with Joel's football rained off (and a wasted drive to Tiverton), I popped over to Powderham to have a look. To say they weren't difficult to pick out is an understatement. The pair was visible the moment I stepped out of the car, but that's no surprise. Smart birds despite being of highly dubious origin, and I'm glad I went. On the river were c500+ Dark-bellied Brent Goose, c30/40+ Avocet and c2/300+ Lapwing. Nearby a lovely flock of winter thrushes included c50+ Fieldfare, c30+ Redwing and 4 Mistle Thrush. Great to catch up with Andy Bond this morning.
A quick whiz round Countess Wear on the way home produced just 14 Gadwall, 8+ Teal and a Grey Wagtail. No Chiffies. Disappointing.
Exmouth produced the usual selection of good birds today. Maer Rocks early morning - 75+ Dark-bellied Brent Goose, 3+ Turnstone, 2+ Purple Sandpiper and 2+ Red-throated Diver. Off the Grove - Great Northern Diver, Eider, Long-tailed Duck, 3 Red-breasted Merganser and 10 Great Crested Grebe.
This evening the Bonaparte's Gull was feeding off Shelly Beach before drifting towards the quay where a small group of birders was gathered. Nice to see Mike Tout there.
 
 
Grey Wagtail - Countess Wear

No comments:

Post a Comment