Wednesday 31 August 2016

Patch Envy


Six Pintail dropping down to the river off Mudbank.
 
Orcombe was virtually bird-less this morning. Just 12 Swallows, 1 Tree Pipit, 1 Alba Wagtail, 1 Grey Wagtail and 1 Yellow Wagtail recorded.
Mudbank was better. Thirty Wigeon, 6 Pintail, 22 Little Egret 2 Mediterranean Gulls and a Kingfisher on a quick look over the high tide.
Spent the rest of the morning down at Soar on a family dog-walk. A stunning place with superb pockets of habitat at every turn, bringing on painful bouts of patch envy. Why on Earth do I stick with Orcombe? A question I often ask myself but deep down I know the answer to that. I'm planning on doing a post on the importance (to me) of choosing somewhere a bit crappy. Hopefully I'll get round to it soon. One Hobby, c15+ Yellow Wagtails, 1 Wheatear and 1 Whinchat recorded without proper searching. A strong sense that Wrynecks and Ortolans were lurking nearby.
 

Hobby - Soar

1 comment: