Sunday 1 June 2014

Late Migrants


A beautiful morning this morning. I birded Orcombe from 0500 - 0700 and was pleased with a late wheatear and a late redstart. I always struggle to get photos of redstart on Orcombe and this morning's  bird was no exception. I sat still and waited for ages to get the shot below. The bird was feeding up and down the back of the hedge that runs along the top of the Bristol Schools camp. Also this morning, 2 swift 'in off', 2+ swallow and 1 common tern offshore. The first-summer little gull was again off Mudbank.


female redstart - only my second on Orcombe this spring.

Two days ago, on 30/5,  Orcombe Point produced 19 sandwich tern, 3 common tern, 1 roseate tern, c20+ common scoter, 4 sanderling, 1 dunlin, 2 whimbrel, 1 spotted flycatcher (see photo below) and 1 yellow wagtail (my first on Orcombe this year). There were 23 bar-tailed godwit off Mudbank.


spotted flycatcher - my fourth this spring on Orcombe.


Yesterday evening I sat in the garden, waiting in vain for the ross's gull or whiskered tern to venture down river. This beautiful sunset was considerable compensation for getting neither. At least 1 hummingbird hawk moth was whizzing around the garden but it wouldn't pause for a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment