Monday 20 December 2021

Just Off Patch


Brambling. I reckon I saw at least twenty today but, due to the frequency of calls coming from overhead, I suspect there are many more present, moving between game cover crops around the pig farm and surroundings.

I neglected Exmouth today and spent a few hours birding just beyond the parish boundary. At Hayes Barton, Yettington I recorded c20+ Brambling, c20/30+ Chaffinches, 3+ Lesser Redpoll, 1 Bullfinch, 3+ Reed Bunting, Chiffchaff, Mediterranean Gull and at least 5 Red-legged Partridges
A quick look at the Otter, principally for the 34 Russian White-fronted Geese that turned up two days ago, produced 1 drake Pochard, 5 Pintail, c150+ Teal, 2 Chiffchaffs and 6 Little Grebes.
Finally a late afternoon squiz at Blackhill Quarry produced 7 Goosanders, 1 Dartford Warbler and a Peregrine
My only look off Mudbank was very brief but did reveal 3 Goldeneye and the juvenile Spoonbill.

Low light levels hampered photography efforts today. Not that I normally take good photos...





All thirty-four of the Russian White-fronts are in this photo. Not something we're used to seeing in Devon.





Drake Pochard - a scarce visitor to the Otter.

Five of the seven Goosanders that I saw at Blackhill Quarry this evening. Apparently, up to sixteen have been coming into roost of late. Good to see Roger, Liz, Rupert and Derek this afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. Some great shots of the Brambling! Been a while since I saw one so envious of those. A few Whitefronts turned up around London but not as many as you & we had at the start of the year.

    Have a great Xmas, Matt & look forward to seeing your photos next year. Let's hope 2022 is a better one for us & for the wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil - many thanks and thank you for all your comments over the years. Have a really good Christmas and New Year. Hope you get some birding in. I see you've got wintering Little Bunting and Dusky Warbler your way. It's amazing what can turn up in unexpected places. Take care. Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did go for the Dusky Warbler but didn't see it. My previous one was less than a mile from here by the reservoir.

    Haven't been for the Little Bunting as I have seen a few of them. Not the easiest location for me without a car but may be tempted in the New Year if it hangs around. Interestingly my last Little Bunting was also at Walthamstow about 3 years back.

    ReplyDelete