Tuesday 27 September 2016

Convolvulus and Hummingbird Hawk-moths


Spot the Moth
 
I'm always scanning walls for resting moths, especially around lights, and as they have a tendency to leave outside lights on in the Bristol Schools camp the buildings there are always given a degree of scrutiny. I surprised myself this evening though by somehow 'locking on' to a cryptically marked Convolvulus Hawk-moth resting on one of the wooden huts. I've never found one at rest in the daytime before. A few minutes later I found a Hummingbird Hawk-moth on a different building. The first I've seen in a while.
Bird-wise just 7+ Chiffchaffs, c50+ Meadow Pipits, 2 Yellow Wagtails and several Swallows made the notebook.
I had a quick look at Orcombe early on Sunday morning but only logged 6+ Turnstones, 18+ Chiffchaffs, c50+ Meadow Pipits, 18 Swallows, 5+ Siskins (my first of the autumn), 1 Grey wagtail, 2 Yellow Wagtails, 1+ Goldcrest, 1 Grey Heron, 1 Blackcap, 1 Snipe and 1 Stock Dove.
There were 13 Sandwich Terns of Mudbank last night.
 

Convolvulus Hawk-moth



Hummingbird Hawk-moth

4 comments:

  1. Very envious Matt! I would probably have twitched it if I hadn't got a cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We seem to be seeing all the same insects Matt!I had a large hawkmoth on my honeysuckle recently in the dark. Convolvulus probably favourite. Also def Hummer yesterday in broad daylight. Yee-hah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice find, always worth checking walls in well lit areas, thought I had a Convolvulus on a wall in Weymouth the other day - on closer inspection was a Clifden nonpareil! Rusty Dot Pearl on the office wall in Exeter today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments. Tim - would imagine your large Hawk-moth was almost certainly Convolvulus - don't think other Hawks are flying at mo(apart from Death's Head). Very envious of your Clifden Nonpareil Kev - a moth I'd love to see. Please let me know if you get another. Cheers, Matt

    ReplyDelete