Sunday 17 April 2016

White and Yellow Wags


Male White Wagtail
 
I managed a couple trips up to Orcombe today and thoroughly enjoyed birding in the warm sunshine for a change. The first trip was early on with Nick and I was able to nip out again later on in the morning. Totals included 3 Swallow, 2 Willow Warbler, 5 Blackcap, 1 Goldcrest, 5 Whitethroat, 2 Meadow Pipit, 1 Yellow Wagtail and 1 White Wagtail.
Various glances at the river, from the back garden, today have produced 2 Pale-bellied Brent Goose, 4 Bar-tailed Godwit,  3 Knot, 2 Redshank, 7 Dunlin, c60+ Sandwich Tern, 1 Common Tern, a flock of 37 Whimbrel north upriver and my first House Martin of the year.


This is my first White Wagtail of the spring. Following just one record in Exmouth for me last year, this was today's star bird.



This male Pied Wagtail stopped wagging long enough for me to grab a shot. It allows a nice comparison with the male White Wag above.


It has already gone down in my book as a good spring on Orcombe for Yellow Wagtails. Invariably at this time of year I get the odd 'flyover' but it's most unusual for them to stop and feed. Contrast that with the autumn when Orcombe can be buzzing with birds feeding among the cattle. This is my second so far - this time presumably a female. Note the olive-grey smudges on the breast and the grey cast to the nape.



Dung Heap Wheatear - one of three present this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment