Saturday 28 November 2015

Little Gull, Little Egret, Little Duck

 
Female Teal - Countess Wear. About 15 Teal were on the river alongside the Water Treatment Works, along with a Grey Seal (more in the river than on) and a Common Sandpiper.
 
A twenty minute look off Maer Rocks after dawn was worthwhile, as an adult Little Gull flew past at 0745. I've seen fewer in Exmouth this year than last year. Also past there, a Red-throated Diver. About 20 Common Scoter were sat on the water off there, along with 5 Great Crested Grebe.
I had to drop Lu and Joel in Topsham for about 9am so I had a quick look at one of my old stomping grounds - Countess Wear Sludge Beds. The usual mix of species was seen, with a Firecrest, c10+ Chiffchaff, 3 Redwing, 1 Treecreeper and a Common sandpiper the highlights.
 
 
 I always enjoy watching Little Egrets. They are a very common sight anywhere on the river now. This bird was keeping itself hunched up so as not to get blown over in the strong wind. I failed to find the Black Redstarts at Shelly Beach today. They were no doubt keeping their heads down.



 Leaning into a strong wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment