Saturday 25 February 2023

Greenshank


Greenshank.

Mudbank today - 42 Wigeon, 23 Redshank, 2 Red-breasted Mergansers, c125 Grey Plovers, 195 Curlew, 30+  Bar-tailed Godwits, 27 Knot, 3 Greenshank, 70 Turnstones, 45 Black-tailed Godwits and 50 Common Gulls. Additionally, I actually caught a glimpse of the wintering Cetti's Warbler (beside the bench) and a Chiffchaff was nearby. The 2 juvenile Spoonbills were present late in the afternoon. Just upriver, off, Sowden Lane - the female Scaup, 6 Red-breasted Mergansers, 10 Great Crested Grebes, c200 Common Gulls, c25 Teal and 28 Cattle Egrets (on a wreck north of Starcross).
In the brook - 1 Greenshank, 1 Common Sandpiper and a male Blackcap
A very brief, early morning look at Orcombe Point produced just 3 Lapwing, c20 Pied Wagtails and 2 Grey Wagtails.


 Common Sandpiper.

2 comments:

  1. Nice wader shots. Finally got my first Common Sandpipers for the year last Saturday. I was leading a walk along the Thames between Kew & Richmond & spotted 2 together on the opposite bank, before flew to our side & started to feed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil - I was pleased with these photos. I never normally get close to waders but the brook offers some really good opportunities. I think I'm right in saying that this Common Sand is the first I've seen wintering in Exmouth. They're regular further upriver, around Topsham and Countess Wear, but very irregular down this end. All the best. Matt.

    ReplyDelete