Friday 11 February 2022

Cirls


Six Teal off Mudbank this afternoon were, surprisingly, my first of the year in Exmouth. Thirty Pintail and the Spoonbill were also present. 
On Orcombe Point the wintering Cirl Bunting has been joined by a second individual, and 54 Snipe were flushed from the field opposite the dung heap - a high count for there. There were 6 Rock Pipits on the dung heap and also noted - 1 Peregrine and c15 Meadow Pipits. Nearby 4 Glossy Ibis were feeding with gulls at Maer Farm, but I made no attempt to find the other five or six. The second-winter Mediterranean Gull was also present.

Six Rock Pipits were feeding on the dung heap.

Female Cirl Bunting. The bottom photo shows the second bird.


This is the second Cirl Bunting. Both birds are feeding near the dung heap and can be seen from the gate, when perched in the hedge. Their quiet 'sit' call is the best way to locate them.

7 comments:

  1. Hello, fab and interesting blog. I think I saw two curl bunting making a nest on our side of gate. Is this too early for a nest? They were very noisy. Let me know your thoughts, you are welcome to take a look.. best wishes LB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lizzy - thank you! If they were noisy they're unlikely to be Cirls. Cirls are quiet and unobtrusive birds, particularly in winter. Could they be House Sparrows? They tend to be quite raucous. Will keep my eyes peeled next time I'm up that way. Have a good weekend and see you next week. Half-term is edging closer...
    All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see the Cirl Buntings-good to see them expanding. You probably saw photos of a male found recently in South Wales? I'm tempted to come down your way to look for the Sand Crocus when it's out, so will probably try & see Cirl Bunting too!

    Did my first non-London twitch in ages yesterday as it was such a glorious day & headed by train to Eastbourne & had great views of my first UK American Robin (a couple of decades since I've been across the big pond to see them!). Also had (not so great) views of the nearby Hume's Leaf Warbler in some Holm Oaks in a large garden near the sea front. It seems so long since there was an easily accessible "new" bird for me so close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neil - yes saw they'd had one in Wales. If you go for Sand Crocus you'll get Cirl Bunting - they're easy at Dawlish Warren. Glad you got the American Robin - looks like a really smart bird. I saw the Exminster Marshes bird - 2010 I think. Have seen plenty in the States too. One in Exmouth would be the ultimate though! Years since I've seen Hume's so very gripped by that. Keep thinking I'll find one in Exmouth one day but ordinary Yellow-broweds are hard enough! If you do come down to Devon you must give me a shout - would be really good to meet. All the very best. Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Matt. Assumed you would have seen the Devon American Robin. Will certainly let you know if I decide to come down-I'll probably use your blog & the BSBI to look for evidence when they are out.

    I was thinking of coming to Devon when I heard there was a Pacific Diver near Paignton, but seems to have been re-identified as Black-throated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Neil - worth keeping an eye on the Dawlish Warren website - Kev usually puts news out when the Sand Crocus is in flower. All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete