Sunday 21 February 2021

Brambling


Female Brambling. One of at least two (I just missed getting a photo of a stunning male) in with a flock of c50+ Chaffinches. The flock was seen whilst I was doing some survey work on the edge of Ludwell Valley Park, Exeter.

Mudbank today - c500 Brent Geese early morning, 1 female Goldeneye and 2 adult Mediterranean Gulls. Great to see Paul Gosling today.
Nearby, on Orcombe Point, 2 adult Mediterranean Gulls, c400+ Black-headed Gulls, 5 Snipe and 2 Stonechats.


I probably should know what this is but I'm not sure I've seen it before. Masses growing in an arable field. A Swinecress type thing?


Red Deadnettle.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Matt

    Try Hairy Bittercress, as I think four stamens.

    Cheers
    Kev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kev - the flower looks perfect - is the leaf shape ok? The photos I've found online show quite round basal leaves. I'll have another look as there were lots of plants in the area I found them. All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete