Sunday 1 November 2020

Closer Yank Wigeon

The drake American Wigeon performed really well in the area known as the 'Duckpond', behind the leisure centre, this morning. A number of birders managed to catch up with it. Quite a few Redwing were moving overhead with at least 105 counted in the time I was there. This prompted me to have a quick look at Orcombe but I didn't get up there 'til 9am. In the hour I was up there at least 80 Chaffinch flew west along with a 45-strong flock of Woodpigeon and 7 Starling. Also noted - 1+ Siskin, 2 Goldcrest, 1 Chiffchaff, c20 Skylark and 4 Stonechat.


4 comments:

  1. Very nice, Matt. Just catching up on some of your recent posts! Amazing co-incidence with your probable Richard's Pipit. I've only ever seen these on Scilly. There was one claimed as a flyover in Richmond Park here a couple of weeks back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Neil - great to hear from you. Did you manage to get on Scilly this autumn? Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I decided to miss this year due to uncertainty over what Covid restrictions might be imposed. Hopefully next year! My first year since being an adult I've not gone overseas. Had some great local sightings but have missed travel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neil - really sorry to hear that but think you did the sensible thing in the current climate. We decided it wasn't right to travel too but hopefully that'll change in the not too distant future. All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete