Wednesday 23 October 2019

Firecrests Black Reds


I counted 34 Robins on my route this morning, but only a fraction of the Orcombe patch was covered.
 
Much less frantic on Orcombe Point this morning. I was greeted by a cold, clear dawn with little wind, though a light northerly picked up a little later and cloud rolled in. Three Firecrest were new in and were the highlight, but I also recorded 12 Blackbird, 34 Robin, 45+ Pied Wagtail, 40+ Meadow Pipit, 4 Redwing, 4 Song Thrush, 9+ Chiffchaff, 2 Raven, 20+ Goldfinch, 9 Goldcrest, 16 Starling, 2 Siskin, 10 Linnet, 20+ Skylark, 900+ Woodpigeon, 60+ Stock Dove, 1 Redpoll, 2 Greenfinch, 190+ Jackdaw, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Sparrowhawk and a Peregrine.


I was sitting in my lounge, reading online about an influx of Back Redstarts on Portland, and wondering how I'd manage to not see any on Orcombe, when I looked up to see one flycatching from my neighbours' roof!


This 'ghost' Stonechat was discovered yesterday on Woodbury Common by Glyn Vernall. I spent some time admiring it on this afternoon's dog-walk. It's a beauty!


I don't think I can recall seeing Black Redstart on the pebbled heaths before. The nearest was probably a male that wintered at Hayes Barton pig farm many years ago. I found this individual inside the grenade range compound - further evidence of a big influx today.

No comments:

Post a Comment