Saturday 4 May 2019

Wood Warbler


Wood Warbler - a lovely surprise this morning - shivering and singing its little heart out at the entrance to the Bristol Schools camp. I've been birding in Exmouth for over 20 years but this is my first record so it's a little bit special.
 
Orcombe Point from 0550 - 6+ Blackcap, 9+ Whitethroat, 3 singing Garden Warbler, 2+ Swallow, 2 Chiffchaff, 2 Wheatear, 1 Shelduck, 1 Mute Swan, 1 Wood Warbler, 4 Whimbrel, 2 Sandwich Tern and the regular drake Common Scoter. I didn't sea-watch as such this morning but every time I glanced out to sea there seemed to be a Great Northern Diver powering past. I counted six this morning but I must have missed a few!
Off Mudbank - 6 Bar-tailed Godwit, 7+ Whimbrel, 7 Sandwich Tern and 2 Black-headed Gull.



Green-winged Orchids
 

Mute Swan - high over east this morning - not the 'norm' on Orcombe.


Lackey Moth web.

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Matt, Wood Warblers really are special as a local patch bird - I've only ever found two on passage in Devon making them as rare as or rarer than many Sibes on my local patches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike - yep rare and sadly getting rarer. I've found passage birds at Slapton (just up from the bridge), Rockbeare Hill, Woodbury Fort and Decoy Lake off the top of my head. I can remember finding birds years ago up on the edge of East Budleigh Common but they may have actually been breeding back then - not sure? I also had one in Uxbridge, west London when I was a student, but none came close to this one! Good to hear from you. There aren't many birders who have found more Dusky Warblers than Woods! What must your Yellow-browed tally be now - I'd estimate well in excess of 100 - perhaps closer to 150? Cheers. Matt

    ReplyDelete