Monday 16 March 2015

Rock Pipit


I found this rock pipit late this afternoon whilst walking the dog along river. My initial reaction was that it was a fairly typical petrosus but the more I watched it the more I wasn't quite so sure, and I still can't make up my mind.  At times it seemed very grey about the crown, ear coverts and scapulars and quite buffy below, with tinges of orangey pink to the centre of the breast. It also has a reasonably prominent supercilium.The above photo shows an undeniable pinky tinge to the centre of the breast but I suppose, ideally, you'd want a more colourful one to be sure of littoralis. I've always found rock pipit races tricky and ever since the gold/white/black/blue dress debate I've lost confidence in the colours I'm seeing (I only ever saw gold and white by the way). As always I'd love to hear what other people think.


Note the fairly plane greyish mantle and scapulars on this pretty unremarkable individual.








No comments:

Post a Comment