Monday 8 April 2019

More Migrants


One of this morning's four Wheatear. Migration must be thirsty work!
 
Another migrant-filled early morning bash on Orcombe with Willow Warblers predominating. I counted c25+ but probably missed a load as a cold mist rolled in, no doubt forcing many to keep their heads down. Also this morning - 1 male Redstart (different I think to yesterday's 'lurid' individual), my first Yellow Wagtail, 4 Wheatear, 4 Blackcap, 2 'alba' wagtail, a handful of Meadow Pipits, 2+ House Martin and a couple Chiffchaff. A very noisy Red-legged Partridge may well have been the bird I saw in Sandy Bay a couple weeks back, likewise the Kestrel that was patrolling the clifftop just west of Sandy Bay.
Off Mudbank - 12 Sandwich Tern and my first spring Pale-bellied Brent Geese - a flock of c35 heading purposefully upriver mid-morning.
Insect wise - my first Clouded Yellow and Orange-tip of the spring, along with Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell and Comma.



 
This is my first Orange-tip this year. I also saw Clouded Yellow this morning but it was in migration-mode so no chance of photographing it.
 
 
Pale-bellied Brent Geese heading upriver - we see good numbers of these every April on the Exe.
 
 

Willow Warblers seemed to be in every suitable patch of habitat this morning. Most in quiet song.

No comments:

Post a Comment