Friday 26 October 2018

Eastern Stuff


Brown Shrike -  nominate cristatus. I've very little experience ageing shrikes, but I'm assuming the subdued colour tones point to this bird being a first-summer, possibly female? Note the plain mantle, graduated tail and massive bill. This was the only Brown Shrike seen during our week-long April trip to south Goa. I suspect I'd have seen more if I'd gone earlier than early April.
 
With birding virtually at a standstill at the moment here are a few 'eastern' species from Goa in April. None of these species is ever likely to make an appearance on Orcombe though Blyth's Reed is an outside possibility. I can clearly see Berry Head from Orcombe and Mike's had one there so you never know...

 

 

Long-tailed Shrike - presumed first-summer.


Adult Long-tailed Shrike



 

Asian Brown Flycatcher


Terek Sandpiper and Little Ringed Plovers


Blyth's Reed Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment