Monday, 7 September 2026

Pec, Sticticalis


The prospect of close views of this juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper was enough to tempt me over to the Axe for the second time in as many weeks! A fabulous bird. Unfortunately it was like a rugby scrum in the hide so I didn't stay very long. Just long enough to see 1 Wood Sandpiper, 1 Spotted Redshank, 2 Common Sandpipers, 2 juvenile Curlew Sandpipers and a Yellow Wagtail amongst the usual stuff.
Orcombe was quiet first thing with just 2 Yellow Wagtails, 1+ Grey Wagtail, 1 Sand Martin, 2 House Martins, 10+ Swallows, 8 Chiffchaffs and a Cirl Bunting making it into the notebook.
Mudbank - 16 Redshank, 3 Greenshank, 1 Ringed Plover, 13 Black-tailed Godwits, 21 Pintail, 64 Wigeon, 1 juvenile Knot, 1 Peregrine (on Cockle Sands), 2 Ravens, 1 Whimbrel and an Osprey.







I very nearly passed this Mugwort Pearl Loxostege sticticalis off as one of the numerous Vestals or Rush Veneers. It's a scarce migrant species that I've yet to trap in the garden.


The weedy corners of the top fields have been heaving with Vestals these last few weeks. I should have really attempted a proper count at some point but I never reached that level of motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment