Saturday 11 May 2024

Red Kites

This pair of Red Kites was heading west over Exmouth at 0950 this morning. Lu and I were walking down to the seafront and I stopped to look at the handful of gulls in the recycling centre. One of them tilted its head to look up and I followed its gaze skywards...

This afternoon Lu and I went for a lengthy stroll on the commons where a further three Red Kites were seen over Woodbury Common and another over Bicton Common. Off Mudbank early on - 12 Bar-tailed Godwits, 4 Dunlin, 13 Whimbrel, 2 Ringed Plovers, 1 Turnstone and a Mallard. Also a Whitethroat back on territory there. The Cuckoo was again singing this morning - over on Withycombe Raleigh Common.




 Adela reamurella - Green Longhorn. Lovely to see these 'lekking' in the sunshine.

2 comments:

  1. Great you heard a cuckoo at WRC. A few of us have been slogging away over the past few winters returning the habitat to heath. Rewarding when nature makes use of the special place it is. I had a Cockchafer in my moth trap over the last two nights. Exciting to see this short lived scarab beetle close up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi john - yep - fantastic work you and others have done. As far as I can tell it's the most reliable site for Yellowhammers on the Pebbled Heaths and the Dartfords seem to be doing well up there too. I haven't run my moth trap in quite some time but have had 'May Bugs' quite often. Great insects! Really good to hear from you. Sure I'll bump into you again at some point soon up there. All the best. Matt.

    ReplyDelete