Thursday 20 April 2023

Pied Whitethroat


This aberrant Whitethroat provided the oddest sighting this morning.

I had to work up in Somerset first thing so I didn't get up to Orcombe until much later than I'd have liked. Once up there it was immediately apparent that a load more migrants were in. My totals included 6 Whitethroats, 5 Wheatears, 1 Sedge Warbler, at least 10 Willow Warblers, 1 Swallow, 1 Meadow Pipit, at least 11 Blackcaps, 7 Chiffchaffs and 3+ Redstarts. Good to see Tom again.
An afternoon stroll to West Lodge produced singles of Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler and Grasshopper Warbler. The pair of Reed Buntings was in the reedbed there. 

Almost impossible to photograph, this male Redstart was one of at least 2, probably three, along the track leading down to the Bristol Schools camp. I found a female in the top fields and Tom saw a female in the same area as the males. I'm guessing several moved through Orcombe today.


One of six Whitethroats this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Saw the female again as I left too.... no photo, sneaky critters! Thanks for the heads up

    ReplyDelete
  2. No probs Tom. Chuffed you got to see them. It will be even more satisfying when you finally get the shot you want. All the best. Matt.

    ReplyDelete