Saturday 25 March 2017

YBW and Gadwall


The sunrise on a chilly Orcombe Point was well worth the 6am start, but bird-wise I'd have been better off staying in bed. Just half a dozen singing Chiffchaffs and the regular pair of Mistle Thrushes made the notebook.
The morning was spent watching Joel play football but this afternoon I was able to spend a bit of time in the back garden. I'm glad I did as at around 330pm a Yellow-browed Warbler started calling from the front of the house! I couldn't locate it initially but after a few minutes it gave an odd weak 'sip' call from a magnolia in Neil's garden, on the opposite side of the road, and I got on it briefly before it flew into the garden adjacent to Neil's back garden. It's only a couple hundred yards away from where I saw one at the end of February - almost certainly the same bird that's staying well hidden in local gardens. Also from the back garden this afternoon - 2 Sandwich Tern, 2 Gadwall (my first in Exmouth this year), 3 Wigeon, 10 Red-breasted Merganser, 4 Great Crested Grebe, Green Woodpecker, c20+ Little Egret, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Canada Geese, c20+ Brent Geese and 1 or 2 Peregrines.


Raven dwarfing 2 Carrion Crows - Exmouth Lifeboat Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment