Saturday 11 March 2017

Little Gull


Rock Pipit - Imperial - a grey and white individual.

I managed to see just 2 Chiffchaffs, 1 Stonechat, 1 Curlew and 10+ Meadow Pipit on Orcombe this morning. A bit quiet to say the least.
We then went up to Tiverton to watch Joel play football against Moors Hawks (Brixington won 2-1). Lu and I walked our hound along the river whilst we were waiting for kick-off, and managed to see 2 Dippers, 5 Redwing 2 Chiffchaff and 2 Siskin. I only ever see Dippers these days when at football matches!
Late this afternoon I had a quick look off Mudbank and was pleased to see 1 Long-tailed Duck, 3 Goldeneye, 2 Pintail, 1 adult Mediterranean Gull (in full summer plumage), 2 Pale-bellied Brent Geese and, best of all, a first-winter Little Gull - the first I've had in Exmouth for a while.
The Pale-bellied Brents flew towards the estuary mouth and the Little Gull was dip-feeding in the river before it gained height and flew over Shelly Beach towards the Warren.
I got my first Sand Martin this afternoon - one over the lower part of Bicton Common whilst I was out for a run. Still no Wheatears yet though.


 Rock Pipit - one of at least 3 on Orcombe Point.
 
 
Rock Pipit - I suspect this would be claimed as a littoralis if it was feeding on an east coast beach but it was song-flighting and apparently on territory on Orcombe Point so presumably petrosus.
 

Dipper - one of two seen along the river Exe next  to Tiverton High School. The photo is dreadful but the chances of one turning up in Exmouth are extremely slim so I've included it.

2 comments:

  1. Matt, you've had a littoralis looking presumably petrosus before at Orcombe Point either breeding or on territory in the late spring? Something in the genes..
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike - yep - not the first time I've seen birds looking like this. A bit confusing but got to be petrosus.
    All the best,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete