Saturday 25 September 2021

RVD

This Red-veined Darter on Orcombe was difficult to photograph - low light levels and drizzle were bad enough but it was also difficult to track, and it was inevitably lost before I could get a better image.

Not much doing in the bird department on Orcombe this morning. The best I could manage was 1 Snipe, 1 Wheatear, 1+ Yellow Wagtail, c80+ Meadow Pipit, 1 Stonechat, 1 Grey Wagtail and a handful of Chiffchaffs.
Mudbank, by way of contrast, was heaving with large numbers of Canada Geese, 285 Dark-bellied Brent Geese, c7/800+ Wigeon, small numbers of Pintail and Mallard, 1 Teal, several Mute Swans, 9+ Bar-tailed Godwits, 1 Whimbrel, 2 Greenshank, 21 Black-tailed Godwits, 1 Spotted Redshank, 1 Snow Goose, 4 Redshank, the presumed Wigeon x Pintail hybrid, 1 Peregrine, 1 Sandwich Tern and the lingering first-winter Yellow-legged Gull.

Sallow. Some classic autumnal moths were trapped last night but there was little evidence of any immigration - just a couple Rusty Dot Pearls and a Silver Y. A Speckled Wood butterfly was unusual, but otherwise no surprises. A Painted Lady was on garden Buddleia this morning.

Spruce Carpet.

Brindled Green.

Feathered Ranunculus.

Black Rustic.

Large Ranunculus.

The feral Snow Goose was again off Mudbank this morning. I heard it for the first time too - similar to Canada Goose but more trumpeting to my ear.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on the RV Darter. Another poor year here & I didn't connect with one.

    Lovely moths too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Neil - I was hoping to get them breeding on the commons again this year but several searches revealed nothing. This was my first in Exmouth and something I wasn't really expecting. A bit annoyed I couldn't get a better photo but I guess a record shot is better than nothing. All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete