Monday 27 September 2021

Pec

Pectoral Sandpiper - Bowling Green. Another one of those species that I haven't seen in ages so thought I should make the effort to reacquaint myself. It reminded me how much I hate being in a busy hide but it was a smart bird, albeit too far away to photograph. I've seen Pectoral Sandpipers in Cornwall and Essex but my first Devon 'Pec' was at Portworthy Dam on 2/9/99. Shortly after I found my own, at Matford Marsh, on 11/9/99. Next was a juvenile at Bowling Green on 24/8/02 (and seen again the next day) and the last was 3 juveniles, again on Bowling Green, on 12/9/03. So an eighteen year gap since my last, which makes me feel slightly less guilty about the twitch, even though it was just ten minutes up the road. I guess Pec Sand is a species I could get off Mudbank but they have a penchant for freshwater marshes, so I'm not holding my breath...

No comments:

Post a Comment