Monday 26 August 2019

Spot Flys and More


Spotted Flycatcher - one of six feeding together along the fence-line leading to the entrance of the Bristol Schools camp.
 
Joel's birthday today but I managed a couple quick visits to Orcombe. Typically it looked really good so deserved more time, but my totals included 6 Spotted Flycatcher, 2+ Willow Warbler, 3 Whitethroat, 3 Yellow Wagtail, 1 Sand Martin, 1 Coal Tit, 2 Redstart, 1 Tree Pipit, 2 Wheatear, 3 Whinchat, 1 Mediterranean Gull and a Swift. I only covered a small section of the normal 'patch'. Evidently I missed a big mid-morning push of Wheatears and who knows what else...



Willow Warbler - one of two or three seen.


A beautiful plain individual. No thoughts of tyrrhenica though...



I'll have to look through old records but I don't think I've had as many as six birds together before. Not in recent years at least and certainly not all in one group.


Tree Pipit


Whitethroat and Wheatear




I don't ever remember having such good photo opportunities with this species. All individuals giving a quiet 'tuc' as they made fly-catching sallies from the fence.


One of three Whinchat today and, believe it or not, my first in Exmouth this year.


One of two Redstarts today. One of them was yesterday's bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment