Thursday 23 July 2015

Odd Mix of Birds

 
Six-spot Burnet - Dung Field.
 
I was down at Maer Rocks for about 6am. The sea was flat calm and it didn't feel terribly 'birdy' but I ended up seeing an odd selection of birds. The best bird was an exceptionally early merlin that I picked up a long way out to sea. It slowly but surely got closer and eventually headed across the bay towards Teignmouth. Minutes before that a kestrel had flown over and headed along the beach towards the river mouth. I think it's only the third one I've had in Exmouth this year. Also this morning 60+ manx shearwater, 1+ balearic shearwater, c30+ sandwich tern, 6+ common scoter, 1 redshank, 1 sanderling and 1 whimbrel. The shearwaters were heading towards a sizeable swirling, feeding flock some way out between Orcombe and Berry Head - just dots on the horizon for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment