Friday 20 June 2014

Mothstalgia


Blotched Emerald - Rockbeare 2007

I've been looking back fondly through my old moth photos today. I haven't run my trap for over five years because we're not ideally situated for shining a powerful ultraviolet light in the garden of this house. It's currently on loan to my good friend Martin Wolinski who is getting some great catches. I feel very rusty with regards identifying moths but I'm sure I'll get back into it at some point. It is an utterly absorbing and addictive hobby but time-consuming and certainly not easy to fit in alongside work, family life and birding. The rich variety of moths out there never ceases to amaze me and I would strongly recommend anyone with an interest in wildlife to give it a go - it's fantastic. Below are some of my favorite species. Note the variety of shapes and colours as well as the fantastic names of some species. 


Pine Beauty - Rockbeare 2008


Peach Blossom - Rockbeare 2008


Privet Hawkmoth - Rockbeare 2008


Cream-bordered Green Pea - Topsham 2008


Swallow-tailed Moth - Rockbeare 2007


 Rosy Footman - Rockbeare 2007


Sprawler - Rockbeare 2006


 Merveille du Jour - Rockbeare 2006


Large Wainscot - Topsham 2006 - not sure why but I love the wainscots and I've still got quite a few to see


Cosmopolitan - Rockbeare 2006


Scarce Bordered Straw - Rockbeare 2006


Burnished Brass (f juncta) - Rockbeare 2006


Gold Spot - Rockbeare 2009


Bordered Beauty - Rockbeare 2006


Lappet - Rockbeare 2006 - what a moth!


Scarce Silverlines - Rockbeare 2006


Green Silverlines - Rockbeare 2006


Square-spot Rustic - this is what this species should look like - square and unremarkable kidney marks on each forewing but look at the aberrant specimen below.......


..........complete with gold stars on my daughter's first day at school- surely a good sign!!


Chocolate-tip - Rockbeare 2007


Rosy Rustic - Rockbeare 2006 - a subtle but beautiful species


Oleander Hawkmoth - an incredible moth unlikely to be caught in this country - this one was hand-reared by John Gale

All the moths below were found just by checking lights when we were on camping holidays in the south of France. I used to check the wash blocks first thing in the morning, which got me some funny looks, and some powerful lights that illuminated a little village church on a nearby hillside. I probably recorded in excess of one hundred species this way including some absolute crackers.......


Spurge Hawkmoth - France 2006


Striped Hawkmoth - France 2006


Ni moth - France 2009


Small Chocolate-tip - France 2008


Zygaena Occitanica - France 2008 - this one was rescued from a swimming pool by my mother-in-law!


Bird's Wing - France 2008


Pale-shouldered Cloud - France 2008


Dorset Cream Wave - France 2008


Calophasia Opalina - France 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment