Saturday 19 August 2023

Green Sandpiper

Green Sandpiper - Mudbank. A surprisingly difficult species to see in Exmouth. After a blank year last year, I was chuffed to find this bird this morning. What's more, this is the first time I've photographed this species 'on the deck' in Exmouth. As far as I can remember, all my previous records of Green Sand have been very brief fly-overs. Good job their call is so loud and distinctive!

Mudbank - 2 Greenshank, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, c190 Curlew, just 3 Whimbrel, c50 Sandwich Terns and a fly-over Grey Wagtail
On a blown-out Orcombe Point - just 9 Wheatears.
Yesterday off Mudbank - 14+ Whimbrel, 4 Redshank, 1 Greenshank, 21 Bar-tailed Godwits, 3 Common Terns, 14 Sandwich Terns and a single Teal (my first of the autumn). Late in the evening - 8+ 'commic' terns on Cockle Sands - probably all Commons. Orcombe Point - a quick look produced 4 Swifts (east) and 2 Wheatears.


Common Sandpiper - Mudbank

No comments:

Post a Comment