Thursday 25 May 2023

Sword-leaved Helleborine

I was working up in Hampshire again today, so took the opportunity to go and see some Sword-leaved Helleborines - a new orchid for me and a very captivating species at that! They carpeted parts of the beechwood floor like snowdrops. Beautiful flowers that reminded me a bit of Butterfly-orchids. I also saw some White Helleborines - a species I've only ever seen at a couple sites near the Thames before. We just don't get these orchids in Devon or neighboring counties, which is a real shame.








White Helleborine - massively outnumbered by Sword-leaved at this site, but a much more common and widespread species in general.




Grass Snake. I almost stepped on this chap whilst walking on the pebbled heaths yesterday evening. It was well over 2 ft in length.


Heath Spotted Orchids.




Common Spotted Orchid in bud.


A catoneaster species - Bicton Common.


Early Marsh Orchid.




No comments:

Post a Comment