Friday 14 April 2023

Redstart, Yellow Wags

Heavy rain and a cold, driving easterly forced me indoors this morning. Family time with Lu and the kids, cooked breakfast, lots of tea and a bit of painting was all very nice. I had to wrap up and force myself out into the miserableness but the prospect of some 'downed' migrants was too much to ignore. Crap by most birders' standards but quite good for Orcombe - 1 male Redstart, up to 3 Yellow Wagtails, 1 Willow Warbler, 2 phyllosc sp, 9+ Chiffchaffs, 2+ Wheatears, up to 11 Meadow Pipits, 4+ Rock Pipits, 5+ Swallows, 3 House Martins and 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

Wheatear.

2 comments:

  1. Redstart, one of my boogy birds as not been to that Dartmoor to look! Must get to Orcombe ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom - they used to be regular and expected on Orcombe but now I'm lucky if I get one or two a year. Always tricky to photograph. They're pretty easy in suitable habitat on Dartmoor. I'll give you a shout if I get one lingering on Orcombe but they're usually pretty mobile and have a habit of disappearing. Yesterday's bird vanished pretty promptly. All the best. Matt.

    ReplyDelete