Saturday 21 November 2020

Marsh Tit!!

Well, it's only taken 11 years but, at last, I've seen a Marsh Tit in Exmouth! This bird was calling frequently but a devil to see, in dense undergrowth along Wright's Lane, which runs along the top of Bystock. It feels like it's been coming though. Back in the summer I heard a bird just outside the Exmouth boundary, at Squabmoor. Shortly afterwards, in conversation with Roger and Liz Hamling, I learned that they were occasionally seen on the Bystock Reserve. This afternoon I put a bit of time in and was rewarded. I should point out though that over the years I've searched Bystock thoroughly, without success, always perplexed by their absence in seemingly perfect habitat. Perhaps I've just been unlucky or maybe they're bouncing back!

This Firecrest was feeding in a Laurel hedge along Wright's Lane. I'm fairly confident that a thorough search of suitable habitat in the area would reveal many more. The Bystock area produced at least seven earlier in the year. Several Goldcrests, Coal Tits, Redwings, a Treecreeper, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Sparrowhawk were also noted along Wright's Lane.


Feathered Thorn. Also trapped last night - Beaded Chestnut, Silver Y, December Moth, Pearly Underwing, Mottled Umber, 3 Rusty Dot Pearl, c10 Southern Bell (Crocidosema plebejana) and 1 Light Brown Apple Moth.


Beaded Chestnut


Silver Y


Mottled Umber


Southern Bell

Pearly Underwing - a scarce immigrant species but one I've trapped a few times before.

A quick look at the top fields on Orcombe produced 2 Stonechat, c10 Meadow Pipit, c30+ Linnet, 4 Snipe, 2 Kestrel and 16+ Skylark.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your Marsh Tit! A bird I don't see that often. I did see one at nearby Ruislip Woods a few years back where they used to breed many years ago.

    Some lovely moths. When I was at Ruislip a few days ago I found 13 Mottled Umbers & 2 Winter Moths by a security light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil - thank you. Mottled Umber isn't a common one for me. In fact yesterday's was the first I've trapped in Exmouth, but that's probably more to do with how infrequently I trap at this time of year. Winter Moth is probably the most common species I've never seen. Must try harder!
      All the best. Matt

      Delete
  2. Thanks Debbs - made my day! Trust you and Kev are both well. All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete