Thursday 24 October 2019

Long-eared Owl


A huge highlight for Paul and me this morning, just as we were discussing how quiet things were, was this Long-eared Owl. It 'flopped' out of the hedge as we skirted one of the top fields, and very quickly landed to reveal those gorgeous orange eyes and long ear tufts. It flew another few feet into the base of an Ash tree and Paul and I beat a hasty retreat to allow it to settle. When we left it was roosting in the same spot and visible from the double gate at the top of Gore Lane. It has apparently remained there all day and represents a first for me here in Exmouth. It's a pretty scarce bird in Devon. The last one I saw was at Exminster Marshes on 3/3 2012 and prior to that just three Devon birds - Bowling Green on 15/3 2003, Berry Head on 18/11 1996 and Dawlish Warren on 16/11 1996. When I was a student in London I used to visit well-known winter roosts but today's bird beats them all!
Also recorded today, in damp and overcast conditions - 1 Black Redstart, c35 Robin, 13 Blackbird, 10+ Goldcrest, 12 Song Thrush, 1 Redwing, 9 Chiffchaff, c10/20+ Meadow Pipit, 16 Linnet, 1 Stock Dove, c10+ Chaffinch, 8+ Goldfinch, c10+ Pied Wagtail, 2 Bullfinch, 3 Reed Bunting, 1 Grey Wagtail, 3 Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, 1 Coal Tit, C80+ Starling and 40+ Jackdaw.


Not such a good view from the double gate but it's better than no view at all!

 

This smart male Back Redstart was mobile around the Bristol Schools area.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Gav - a few expletives were uttered when it pitched up on that post! All the best. Matt

      Delete
  2. Another good find mate. Thanks for the text. Managed good views after work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Spencer - glad you got it. All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- congrats on your LEO- what a stunner. The last one I saw was stuck in a bush at Dungeness. Before I lived where I do there used to be a roost here, but is the only regular owl species I haven't seen on my patch.

    Nice Black Redstart too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Neil - it's a tricky bird to catch up with in Devon. I remember roosts at Hayes - somewhere with lots of burnt-out cars if I recall, and Dagenham Chase, when twitching Pine Bunting. We just don't get communal roosts like that in Devon or anywhere else in the south-west as far as I'm aware. I was pleased today's bird was able to rest without disturbance. It looked pretty tired when Paul and I first found it. All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bird to find on the local patch Matt - Very envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris - one of those birds that undoubtedly turns up more often but a big slice of luck needed to pin one down. Nice one with the HH. Will be up looking for that one...
      All the best. Matt

      Delete
  7. Well done Matt, plenty of hours put in by you over the years pays and you deserve all you find, a real cracker. Home next week ask it to hang around🥴👍

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Derek - look forward to birding with you again soon. Give us a shout when you're back. All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete