Friday 24 May 2019

Ring-necked Parakeets


At least three Ring-necked Parakeets in Maer Valley tonight. I had two female-types feeding together and the third bird was further along the valley, noisy but unseen. This is the first time I've seen more than just the lone female but reports of three birds have been appearing on 'Devon Birds' for some time now. It looks like we have the makings of a colony in Exmouth!
 
Not too much to report today - 2 Bar-tailed Godwit and 1 Dark-bellied Brent Goose off Mudbank, and my first Downy Emerald on Bystock.


Common Blue Damselfly - Hogsbrook Lakes.


Blue-tailed Damselfly - Hogsbrook.


Female Beautiful Demoiselle - Bystock.


Large Red Damselfly - Bystock.


Tufted Duck - Hogsbrook Lakes.

6 comments:

  1. Be careful what you wish for. All I can hear while typing this are Parakeets, and I thought House Sparrows were noisy.
    Just as well for us; and themselves, they don't call at night - much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ric - that's a good point. The three birds alone make a lot of noise. I guess it's the novelty of having these exotic birds on the doorstep. As I type this I can hear them calling on TV - two people being interviewed at Westminster about Teresa May's resignation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just chanced upon this amazing wildlife resource - thanks! Do you know if the parakeets will do any ecological harm? Are they escapees - or just decided to settle in sunny Exmouth? All the best, Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - I really don't know the answers to any of those questions. I would imagine they are escapes. Whilst numbers are low I doubt they'll do much harm but if numbers get high, who knows? It's a bit odd that the numbers are creeping up and might indicate someone deliberately releasing them. Again I don't know. Sorry I can't shed any light and thank you for getting in touch. All the best. Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. are their still parakeets to see in exmouth

    ReplyDelete