Sunday 27 January 2019

Maer Valley

 
I had a stroll around Maer Valley this afternoon, hoping to find some shelter from the ferocious and freezing northerly that's making birding very difficult. I enjoyed looking though a large corvid flock, consisting almost entirely of Jackdaws and Rooks, but could find nothing unusual amongst them. Three Chiffchaffs were noted along with c30+ Redwing and a couple Goldcrests.
Off the seafront, in very difficult conditions, I managed to find a Great Northern Diver which is remarkably my first of 2019 in Exmouth. They're usually an easy species to get. Otherwise three Eider were in the estuary, with two of them sat up on Bull Hill late afternoon.
 
 

Chiffchaff - Maer Valley - until today I'd only managed to locate a single wintering Chiffchaff in Exmouth - a bird on the Maer. This afternoon's trio prove that I've been looking in the wrong place! I'll give it another look on a calmer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment