Tuesday 30 October 2018

Hen Harrier


Juvenile Hen Harrier - this bird was hunting below Woodbury Fort late this afternoon. It was really difficult to keep track of as it kept so low to the ground, and consequently I failed miserably to get a decent shot. I did however get enough on it, I think, to age it as a juvenile, with rusty/yellowish underparts and dark secondaries. A beautiful adult male Merlin also put in an appearance along with c35+ Fieldfare, 5+ Brambling, c50+ Meadow Pipit, 1+ Snipe and one or two Redpolls.
 


From my position on Woodbury Common this afternoon I could clearly see Portland in the distance.
 
 
A quick dawn visit to Orcombe, before work, revealed some large Woodpigeon flocks heading west, totalling c2500+ birds. Also 1 Lapwing, 2+ Golden Plover, c15/20+ Meadow Pipit, 7+ Siskin, 2+ Reed Bunting, 12+ Pied Wagtail, 2 Grey Wagtail, 1 Snipe, 3 Starling, c10+ Song Thrush, c10+ Blackbird, c30+ Chaffinch, 15+ Goldfinch and 1 Brambling. I reckon I hugely undercounted Chaffinches as very few were visible in fine conditions.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment