Wednesday 18 July 2018

Barn Owl


Barn Owl - Otterton.
 
Up at 5am this morning to do a pre-work survey at a private site, not too far away from Exmouth. This bird flew in to the field I was surveying and hunted for 7 minutes, affording lovely views, but the light was terrible for photography. I don't think a Barn Owl has featured on this blog before - a sign of how rarely I see this species and how rarely I stray from the confines of Exmouth.
I've yet to see a live Barn Owl in Exmouth but I did find the well-decayed remains of one on Orcombe Point several years ago. A single bird was apparently present on a farm in Exmouth towards the end of last year but there just isn't the requisite habitat to hold one. Modern farming practices have made life very difficult for this species.


Bud Moth - Spilonota ocellana


Bright Bell - Eucosma hohenwartiana.


Silver Y - about a dozen trapped last night, along with a single Rusty Dot Pearl - the only immigrant representatives. I love the subtle colours and patterns on Silver Ys. My photos don't do them justice.



Slender Brindle - only the second I've trapped in Exmouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment