Wednesday 19 July 2017

Maiden's Blush


Maiden's Blush - possibly an immigrant? It seemed lost down on the beach first thing this morning.
 
I chickened out of running the trap last night and now I regret it. It was on until about midnight but the intense lightening and torrential rain, which was keeping our dog on edge and me wide awake, got me worrying about the electrics, so I went out, got wet and switched it all off. Nick scored with an Archer's Dart but I had virtually nothing. I ended up checking the seafront but could only manage c20 Common Scoter, 27 Sandwich Tern and a couple Common Tern. Three Sanderling landed on the beach briefly and then took off. This evening there were c40+ Sandwich Tern off Mudbank, with 3 Common Tern. Mediterranean Gulls were dotted around all over the place.
It's been a mental week at work with 'activities week' in full swing. I've been with 150 year 7, 8 and 9s, running around Stoke Woods, shooting kids (and getting shot) with lasers. Great fun to be honest. Today I've been at Crealy which I'm not too keen on, but at least I could have a little search for dragonflies whilst checking that the kids were behaving themselves.


Juvenile Mediterranean Gull



I'm guessing teneral (the wings look like they're still unfolding) Migrant Hawker?
 
 
Common Blue Damselfly?


Blue-tailed Damselfly


I think these might be Small Tortoiseshell caterpillars - I hope so because I've seen very few adult Small Tortoiseshells this year.


Tortrix sp - this one needs a bit of research. Online searches so far fruitless.


Pale Prominent - one of the few moths in a very wet trap this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment