Sunday 19 June 2016

Puss Moth

 
Puss Moth
 
I tried the moth trap in a new spot last night and was inundated with moths. Pick of the bunch was this fabulous Puss Moth. I can't believe it has taken me this long to see one, though I did find the extraordinary caterpillar when I did some work experience at Dawlish Warren as a kid, back in the 1980s. Other species trapped included Brimstone, Ruddy Carpet, Common Marbled Carpet, Clouded Silver, Common Wave, Blood-vein, Willow Beauty, Dwarf Cream Wave, Double-striped Pug, Grey Pug, Green Pug, Lime-speck Pug, Straw Dot, Uncertain, Vine's Rustic, Mottled Rustic, Lychnis, Heart and Dart, Heart and Club, Buff Ermine, Treble Lines, Spectacle/Dark Spectacle, Bright-line Brown-eye, Dark Arches, Light Arches, Shoulder-striped Wainscot, Minor Agg, Small Magpie and Clay. Immigrants were represented by a single Silver Y and a worn Dark Sword-grass.
Yesterday, off Mudbank, there were 8 Sandwich Terns and the Slavonian Grebe.
 

I found this Mullein caterpillar close to the trap. I've never seen the adult of this species but I feel my chances of doing so have increased somewhat!


Blood-vein


Common Wave


Silver Y


Spectacle or Dark Spectacle?


Green Pug


Heart and Club


Clay


Micro sp


Mottled Rustic


Vine's Rustic and Uncertain


A very worn Dark Sword-grass


Dwarf Cream Wave



No comments:

Post a Comment