Monday 23 May 2016

Nightjar


Nightjar

I've seen plenty of Nightjars over the years but this afternoon was the first time I've actually found one roosting. I'm always looking at suitable-looking fallen trees and bits of log and finally this afternoon there it was - a beautiful sight just feet from the path up on the East Devon Commons. The dog sat and waited patiently whilst I snapped away, struggling with the focus as the breeze swayed blades of grass gently in front of it. This photo has been cropped but it probably wasn't more than 15ft away and it never even blinked. As well as the Nightjar this afternoon - 1 Hobby, 1 Kestrel, 2 Tree Pipits, several Stonechats and 3+ Siskins.
A two minute look off Maer Rocks, at about 6am this morning, produced 3 high-flying Great Northern Divers heading north inland .


2 comments:

  1. Nice! I'd love to find one on migration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lee. Yep great birds. I've yet to find a migrant on Orcombe but always hopeful. Cheers. Matt

    ReplyDelete