Sunday, 8 March 2015

Best Purple Sand Shots

 

I adopted the 'sit and wait' strategy this afternoon and was rewarded with views of at least 7 purple sandpipers, down to less than 10 ft. I got them on Maer Rocks at low tide, despite the presence of lots of rock-pooling kids and dog walkers. This seems to be a well-established site now. Mark Bailey had 12 birds there 3 days ago, just 2 shy of my all-time highest count, and I've seen birds regularly there throughout the winter. Weird to think I only had my first there in November 2011. The novelty of seeing them still hasn't really worn off! Prior to that there had been a 20 year drought in purple sandpiper sightings in Exmouth, with the exception of a bird off Orcombe Point, seen by Terry Smith a few years back. They must be getting on rocks below Straight Point when Maer Rocks are covered. These are inaccessible and impossible to view unless you're on a boat.
There were a handful of turnstones on Maer Rocks this afternoon too, and a quick check of the cirl bunting site revealed at least 3 birds (including 2 males) along with c50+ chaffinch, c10+ reed bunting and 2+ yellowhammers.






Presumed adult.


Presumed juvenile on left - note fresh-looking white-fringed wing coverts.



Adult?
 


Presumed juvenile.










Female Cirl Bunting.

5 comments:

  1. Good day! I found your site very interesting and informative . Thanks for taking time sharing it with us. I really enjoyed reading your post.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Andrea - really appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simply want to mention I’m newbie to blogging and certainly savored your web page. Almost certainly I’m want to bookmark your website . You really have amazing articles and reviews. Thanks for sharing your web page.

    Jin
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some cracking Purple Sand shots there Matt - Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day! I was so impressed to see a very well-presented dishes that is absolutely tasty
    and delicious. You've done a great job.Well, thank you for sharing your talent and article
    it is very well appreciated. You can also visit my site if you have time.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete